How an “F” Turned into the Greatest Thing that Happened to One Student

Stories of the Changing Culture of Teaching and Learning with Dr. Maryfriend Carter

From the Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis

Follow @coolcatteacher on Twitter

changing culture of teaching and learning Dr. MaryFriend Shepherd Carter

Can giving a failing grade ever benefit a student? Well, our guest Dr. MaryFriend Shepherd Carter shares an unbelievable but true story about something amazing (and a bit scary) that happened when she gave a failing grade to a college student who was pursuing a teaching degree. Dr. Carter also talks about the changing culture of teaching at the college and PK12 level.

If I had to pick a personal mentor who has taught me the most about teaching, it is Dr. Carter. Her kind demeanor and rock-solid knowledge of current educational research have made her one of my go-to researchers when I have questions relating everyday practice to research. I’m grateful for her mentorship and encouragement in my life. She changed my thinking about teaching as she taught me about teaching. She single-handedly convinced me that testing doesn’t work and what does. Even better — I took the concepts she taught me back to my classroom and it worked. If you want to see my #1 teacher about teaching — here she is.

Show Notes: Adapting to the Changing Culture of Teaching and Learning

  • How have students changed in the last ten years?
  • What are characteristics of successful college professors and K12 teachers?
  • How can an “F” can still mean success for a student?
  • How can you regain your classroom if you believe you are no longer relating to students?

Educator Resources from this Episode

  • @maryfriend
  • Dr. MaryFriend Shepherd Carter wrote a piece in my book Reinventing Writing on cooperation versus collaboration that is a must-read on this essential understanding in collaborative projects.

An F was the greatest thing that ever happened to one student

You can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or elsewhere, get the RSS feed, or listen via the media player above.button-itunes

The post How an “F” Turned into the Greatest Thing that Happened to One Student appeared first on Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher helping educators be excellent every day. Meow!



From http://ift.tt/1ntnVaw
via Vicki Davis at coolcatteacher.com. Please also check out my show for busy teachers, Every Classroom Matters and my Free teaching tutorials on YouTube.

Popular Posts