K12 Online Conference Presentation - Sign up now to Wiki

The K12 online conference has officially begun. I've already had two teachers sign up for the live wiki project.

To say I'm nervous is an understatement! After this wild weekend after having my 11 tips for supervising your child online picked up by Lifehacker and the typical scathing remarks that accompany such a link from such an amazing blog. (Gee, I've never been called a pessimist before! My husband says I'm too optimistic. And a few other evil things that I did not print in the comments.) I guess I'm feeling a little, well, unsure. On the conference blog, I sit amidst a list of incredible presenters with amazing things to say,

I wonder, (as I am sure all presenters do)

"Will anyone know how I poured my heart, soul, and gutts into this presentation for the conference?" "Will they make fun of my audio gaffs as I learned to do video as I made the presentation?" "Will anyone join in the K12 live wiki project?"

I do have several teachers here that are participating, but I'm downloading the presentations and giving them out on CD!

They wonder --

How does it work? How to I participate? Why is it free?

So, edubloggers, your work is cut out for you. Share the news of the conference and help others participate. (via cd if necessary) As for me, my Mom always told me that if I learn something new that can help others, it is my job to teach others and share it and that is what I've done. If one classroom benefits, then great. But, I always feel this way when I speak or sing or put myself out there.

It is a feeling of vulnerability that I guess that no one likes too much. I do know this, I feel called to this work. I am called to be a teacher and to encourage and share what I learn with you! I am grateful that God has blessed me with so many kind readers who are so gracious and encouraging (even when drive-by commenters do their dirty work on me!)

Here is my K12 presentation
as reprinted from the conference blog with permission.

Victoria A. Davis
Camilla, Georgia, USA
Blog: http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com/

Presentation Title
“Wiki Collaboration Across the Curriculum”

Bio
Vicki Davis is a teacher and technology administrator at Westwood Schools in Camilla, Georgia. She has taught for four years at the high school and middle school level. For ten years prior, she taught professional development courses for teachers and college level adult computer literacy training. She is known for her award winning class wiki, wiki-centric classroom structure, and use of broad scope of Web 2.0 tools to improve student performance. She is a graduate of the Leadership Georgia program and graduated first in her class from Georgia Tech. She actively blogs her experiences at the Cool Cat Teacher blog and has been cited in the Boston Globe and Wired News for her work with wikis.

Description
Vicki loves it when she gets students excited! She loves it even more when she know that she has covered difficult material and the students had fun and retained the information. Vicki has become convinced that research-based think-pair-share and post lesson summarization are employed effectively whether you use paper, oral discussion, or online collaborative learning tools such as the wiki. The basic methodology (and result) is the same although the medium is different.

Last November 2005, Vicki was a scared beginner when she ventured out onto this new Internet that experts call Web 2.0. Within one month, her class wiki was named wikispace of the month and was being recognized as a model classroom for wiki use. But the most profound change was inside her classroom. Her classroom went from a challenging, rigorous curriculum to a challenging, rigorous, and fun curriculum with increased student involvement. Vicki will share what she has done with you in the hopes that you can learn more quickly than she did.

Vicki has done this in two ways: a video with show notes and a live wiki project for YOU to join in. So, if you want to learn something new (and have a sense of humor) we hope you’ll join the presentation. Vicki welcomes feedback on this blog or on her Cool Cat Teacher blog.

Video Presentation Outline:

  1. Wiki Background
  2. Why students need to know how to wiki
  3. A brief overview of the active portion of this project
  4. The pedagogical use of wikis in the classroom
  5. Wiki assessment strategies
  6. Common questions from school administrators

Note: To show you how rapidly things change, this presentation was finished on Sunday, October 15th and on Monday, October 16th, wikispaces has announced a new feature to help with the concurrent editing problem of wikis.

Presentation

PC users right click, Mac users control click to download for viewing …
http://k12online.wm.edu/k12wikipresentatation_LowRes.wmv 18 MB
http://k12online.wm.edu/k12wikipresentation_highres.wmv 41 MB

Supporting Links
Show Notes
http://k12online.wm.edu/K12shownotes.pdf

Wiki Grading Rubric
http://k12online.wm.edu/WikiGradingRubric.pdf

Components of an effective Web 2.0 Classroom
http://k12online.wm.edu/Web20classroom.pdf

Active Project Outline: The K12 Wiki Project
1 - Sign up to participate at the conference wiki project wiki - http://k12wiki.wikispaces.com/
Our live wiki project. Sign up and request to join the space before 8 AM EST Wednesday, October 24th. All project instructions are on the wiki home page.

2 - Team Announcements
You will have your team assignments posted on the wiki Thursday, October 26th.

3 - Wiki on your topic for up to 20 minutes
You will have until Saturday, October 28th to spend two 10 minute sessions editing your wiki. (Vicki will have volunteers on the wiki to answer your questions and help you.)

4 - Awards
Three Amazing judges, Andrea Forte (wiki researcher), Stewart Mader (wiki author), Jennifer Wagner (international collaborative teacher projects) will evaluate and judge the best wiki of this project. (See the K12wiki for their bios.)

5 - Listen in on the skypecast
Winners will be announced at the concluding skypecast (https://skypecasts.skype.com/skypecasts/skypecast/detailed.html?id_talk=45270%29 on Monday, October 30, at 8 pm EST (October 31 at 1:00 am GMT). Some of the judges will join us and we will give you some ways that you can match your classrooms to wiki with others that match your objectives.

Popular Posts